Sunday, January 10, 2016

A DROP OF NIGHT - early reviews!


A Drop of Night is getting its first revieeeeews! And they don't hate it! Look:

Bizarre and hugely suspenseful . . . Bachmann keeps the pages turning with this thriller . . . The peculiar circumstances add to the strange atmosphere and also to the suspense, lending the book an appealing, otherworldly quality. Kirkus

A fast-paced thrill-ride . . . Chilling . . . The suspense begins from the first page. I Know What You Did Last Summer meets Frankenstein. —YA Books Central

Smooth writing, an engaging plot, and only wisps of romance place this work’s focus squarely on two headstrong and rebellious girls . . . For readers who like strong characters in a unique setting and prefer their horror with a streak of science fiction. School Library Journal

Bachmann’s writing is as polished as in his earlier books—the violence is fittingly gruesome, the decadent and mazelike palace is gorgeously described, and Anouk has an engagingly snarky narrative voice. Publishers Weekly


In the same review, Publishers Weekly also felt the book was pulpy and got lost among the frantic action, but thank you PW for giving us the nice pull-quote anyway! You're cool. :)

Anyway, since I'm feeling relieved, and like even if this book is weird, it's at least excitingly weird, here's a handy list of things about A Drop of Night to perhaps whet your appetite for March 2016.

Things A Drop of Night has:

- A spiky, sometimes mean, usually smart, possibly traumatized, but hopefully eventually understandable main character named Anouk van Roijer Peerenboom.

- Lots of running in the dark through a huge, subterranean palace where every room is different and might kill you. Also, a goodly dollop of fighting against terrible things. And three gallons of Mysterious Happenings.

- Elements of paranormal / sci-fi / history / thriller. But it's not a mash-up, in the sense that those elements aren't all squished together in the same scenes.

- Flashbacks to 1780's France, but a narrative set in ze now.

- You probably won't be able to figure out the ending in advance. There are clues, though. (If you *do* guess the ending in advance, I feel like there should be a refund or something.)


---

Things A Drop of Night doesn't have:

- A historically and archeologically accurate premise that could totally happen in a pinch. (Aka, there *were* underground palaces built during the French Revolution, and science just hasn't caught up. Because alas. . . no.)

- Tons of gore and bloodshed. It looks like a horror book, but I don't think it is entirely. At least, I didn't write it with the intent of it being horrifying. I think it's creepy, and dark, but it's more action than horror. Horror makes me think of broken bones and severed limbs and there's the absolute minimum of that because ew.

- A cliffhanger ending. NOT THIS TIME. There will never-ever-ever be a sequel to this slice of weirdness.

- Romance. There's the tiniest bit of arm-touching and panick-hugging, but all the characters spend most of the book in great peril, so basically: 




And that's that! I have plans to do some videos on the characters and setting, and we've recorded a popsong (or three) for the book, and those giveaways I talked about ages ago and still haven't gotten around to will also happen soon-ish. I just survived a massively important college test which may get a blog post all to itself (but maybe not because if someone from school reads it they could be mad), so now I'm catching up.

In other news, I've gone back to work on the middle grade standalone, and it's soooo close to done. I'm hoping to have a draft done ASAP to send to Editor. It's like the jollier older sibling of The Peculiar, but still a little dark, but hopefully warmer and fuzzier, but also kind of melancholy because sad things happened while it was being written. And it has monsters. And an ocean made out of wooden waves.

Anyway, more soon, and happy 2016 to you! :)

12 comments:

  1. OMG GIVE IT HERE. o_o And also this new book you speak of while your at it. An ocean made out of wooden waves? Can they just like speed up production??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HERE. HERE YOU GO. Oh, wait, I don't have it yet. :D But I hope you like it, thank you! Also, they probably *would* speed up production if a certain writer were not so incredibly slow at writing things...

      Delete
  2. YA Books Central's comparison makes no sense.
    I assume I'm getting a copy for my birthday, yes? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I haven't I Know What You Did Last Summer, but I'll take the Frankenstein reference. Though, yeah, it's not much like that either. xD

      Delete
  3. I need this book so badly. *steals time machine* And oh my goodness, I'm so excited for your middle grade novel as well. :) Congratulations on surviving your college test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I'm so relieved about the test part. So, so relieved.

      Delete
  4. Stefan, I'm excited about your new book. I enjoyed The Peculiar and The Whatnot. I'm a librarian in Melbourne, Fl and have added both books plus the Cabinet of Curiosities collection to our collection. I look forward to adding and reading A Drop of Night. Look for your books on our shelf if your ever in the Suntree/Viera Library. I'm already waiting for yout next,next book. Thank you for your amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, cool, thank you so much!!! I really appreciate you getting these books for the library. I hope you like ADON, too! :)

      Delete
  5. I am really excited for this book. It's pre-ordered!!!! The moment I read the description I had to read it and then I read all your other books. Keep the faith in yourself and vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton, Melinda! :D And thanks for pre-ordering. And for reading my other books! Everyone here is so nice.

      Delete
  6. I AM SO EXCITED! I didn't realize it was so close to the release. I had to go and double check to make sure I read that correctly...so yes...I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!! I'm rereading your other books this year, I've missed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO, THANK YOU! Also, you're going to re-read? :D That's the coolest. Thank you for deeming them worthy of re-reading.

      Delete