Saturday, August 29, 2015

Tidbits and Interestings #2

This is a miniature Tidbit and Interestings, so it could also be called a Midbit and Semi-Boring, but!

Current thing I need to tell people 'bout - I've got an event at a book festival in Köniz on September 6th,  2015, and we only have an hour but apparently there will be a panel of kid readers and an actor and I will also be playing THE ORGAN. So. . . that should be wildly interesting. From what I've gathered, the book festival takes place in a cathedral and the organizers heard that I play the organ and were no doubt like:

"Hmm. Stefan + Organ. That can't go too wrong, can it?"
(A: it can)
Also, on the subject of appearances, this will most likely be my last appearance in relation to The Peculiar and The Whatnot everrrrrr! I have lots of feelings about that. :) Basically, to summarize those feelings, I adored the entire crazy experience of these past three years and am ready to move on. Barring a whiny phase in 2014 where I was tired and busy and stressed out of my mind, I'm super grateful for every single one of the awesome readers I got to meet, and the places I saw, and the many terrifying and interesting experiences that were had. I've slowly come to realize that the things I got to do for my first published books are definitely not what everyone gets to do for their first published books, and so I count myself very fortunate. At the same time, those three years seem like decaaaaaaaaaaades to me, and I think people change a lot between 19 and 22, and honestly I feel really far removed from my faery books. In 5 months A Drop of Night comes out. It's pretty much a 180 from anything I've written before, AKA I WILL BE SHIVERING IN A CORNER WHEN IT RELEASES, but at least it's a new thing and I'm ready for new things.

All that to say, if you want to see me talking about faeries one last time and maybe hear me play something grand and gothic on a pipe organ, come see meeeeee! We will send these books off in style.

Current favorite music - Schumann Lieder. The way he reflects the lyrics in his music is genius. I thought this song was ugly for a while and then we analyzed it in class and now I'm obsessed.


Reign of Fire soundtrack by Edward Shearmur. The movie is not nearly as good as movie about a post-apocalyptic world overrun by fire-breathing dragons *should* be, but the score is dark and harsh and interesting and I like it.



Current Cool Thing - I have a story out in a scary anthology! From Penguin/Random House! My story is called 'M' and features a blind girl who unwittingly stumbles across a murder as its taking place in a grand country house in turn-of-the-century England, whereupon she decides to discover the killer's identity and catch him before he catches her.

Thazzit. Bye. :)

8 comments:

  1. Really looking forward to your new book. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'M' sounds super interesting. :) I've been dying to get my hands on that anthology ever since I first heard about it. And wow, it does feel like a lot longer than three years since The Whatnot came out. I'm glad that you've had a good experience, barring the moments when you were stressed out. Hopefully you'll have an equally good or even better time with A Drop of Night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I feel like 3 years between books is too long. OH, to be a faster writer. Also, thank youuuuuu! That's awfully nice of you to say. :) We shall see how it goes, I suppose!

      Delete
  3. For everybody: No, Stefan and organ always works out fine. Even if people collapse and die in the middle of his playing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could come, but I live too far away. I will content myself with waiting impatiently for your newest book

    ReplyDelete