Saturday, February 7, 2015

Ireland Advenshaaah - Part 1

We did not feel welcome at this establishment for obvious reasons. Let that be a warning to you, fellow Horse Thieves and Especially Bursars*.

*I don't know what a Bursar is, but probably someone who likes to EAT FOOD. AT RESTAURANTS. WITHOUT BEING TURNED AWAY AT THE DOOR. Someone should protest.
---

That title of this post was my Twitter hashtag for the Ireland trip, but I got so, so many pictures that the first post ended up being mostly about England. False advertising, I know, but England is basically Ireland, RIGH- *is executed by Irish people*

It was a great trip. I loved Ireland a lot. I love England as much as ever. I got to see parts of the countries I hadn't seen before, like Canterbury of Chaucer fame, and pre-historic grave-sites, and Galway, and a leprechaun museum.

Also, this post is divided into handy and enthusiastic sub-headers so you will never be confused about where we are. :)

Canterburyyyyyyy

I had never been to Canterbury before, but it's gorgeous. There are lots of medieval buildings and streets and pretty shops, and old people sitting in front of caf├ęs who will tell you stories and inform you about how to find a hospital based on the markings on the street-signs.*

*Old Person was incredibly nice and probably felt he was doing a public service because we were all American, and you know, Americans get into trouble and need hospitals.




My parents had been to Canterbury long before I ever went, and so before I left I got instructions from them: Mom needed a new saucer from a potter whose work she likes, and Dad wanted anis cough-drop-things from a specific candy shop, and so we went on MISSIONS. We got the saucer, but the candy shop was closed.

The closed Candy Shop. We got the anis candy in Ireland, though, so yayyyy, successful missions, we're basically secret agents.

The entrance to the cathedral grounds.
Who would even go here, ew.
An English breakfast. Lots of beans and fried tomatoes. Also, that brown half-circle is a giant mushroom, soooo. . . make of that what you will.
A door for tiny people.
I loooove the shop-fronts in English towns. I got so many shop-front pictures.
Then we drove up to London.

Londonnnnn

I've blogged about London several times already, and it's basically my favorite place ever, and so I will keep the pictures to a minimum, but seriously, London is the best.

I met up with Emma Trevayne! :D And we had ramen! And talked about books!  It was grand.

This car was covered in thousands of tiny rhinestones. Classy as ever, Knightsbridge.
Harrods
Harrods Food Court is honestly the only reason to actually go to Harrods. It's marvelous.
Not just any drinks. Not like those regular non-refreshing drinks for PLEBEIANS.

You can't quite tell because of my non-existent photography skills, but these pralines were shaped like cupcakes.  CUPCAKE PRALINES.

What a bargain.
Then we went to Cambridge.

Cambriiiiiiidge

I had not been here before. I like Oxford more, but Cambridge was very pretty, and sort of like a gloomy Venice, and absolutely packed with bicyclists and students in high-water trousers and funky socks and bowler hats, so it felt very pleasant and familiar.

Becca got a laugh out of the fact that the boats there were called punts.

That *might* be King's College, but I'm not completely sure, so don't take my word for it. :)

Prettyyyyyy.
We found these at a gas station. We were like, "Wow, these are disgusting!" and then we ate all of them in five minutes. 

After Cambridge we went to a little town on the coast of Wales, stayed in a vast, creepy old hotel where there were no other guests, and the water was not super exact on whether it wanted to be hot water or cold water, and where we were convinced we were going to be murdered. (I mean, maybe it was a normal-sized hotel, with an old boiler, and off-season, but let's not get too logical.)

I don't have a picture of the hotel, but I did get a picture of  this light tower which was at the end of a kilometer-long jetty. So that's cool.
We had breakfast all by our lonesomes in a big empty dining hall, drank coffee out of a wine-glass because there were no mugs, joked nervously that the bacon was made out of the previous guests, and then high-tailed it out of there for Ireland.

Irelannnnnnd!

Ireland!
Ireland!!
Irelannnnnd!
I'll post more soon-ish. School starts on Monday, and organizing my life, and I'm also getting a new professor in composing, which is A SCARY THING.

In the meantime, here's a short story about Ireland. I wrote it in Dublin the day after seeing a very cool and mysterious-looking forest, and you can read if you are inclined to do so, and I hope you like it! :)

4 comments:

  1. Stefan, what a wicked fun post! Adore the picture story and adventure of your trip across the isles. I miss England so - lived there as a child and must bring the family over to visit soon. In those days we had a real like milk man bring bottles each day and then there was the fish man and vegetable man and so on and so forth. :) Glad you had a blast - and look forward to more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bursar is a professional financial administrator. Nowadays, anyway. Maybe in former times a bursar was some sort of taxman...
    That Swarovski-covered Merz is famous. Ist owner is, or was, some spoiled daughter of a Russian oligarch, which would account for the great taste in customizing... Can you imagine trying to keep that thing clean?
    Good post. The food shots are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhhhhhh can i have ur life please. great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stefan! Ireland looks like the most gothic, romantic place on earth. Thank you for sharing it with us. :) I can't wait for your upcoming YA debut. SO excited. Out of curiosity, will there be any racial minorities among the five teens? I think diversity is a very important issue in YA at the moment as people have caught onto the fact that nearly all books feature only Caucasian characters (not that there is anything wrong with that. But, you know, as an Asian-American female, it's nice to see yourself represented in the stories that are told, so that you can feel like you exist. Plus, variety is the spice of life, and diversity makes life and books interesting. :D). Or is it still early days and you can't leak anything? Either way, I love the books you have written so far, and can't wait to read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete