Friday, November 22, 2013

Recent Reads - #1

I've recently been reading alll the books, and these are some of the ones I've loved, and so of course I want EVERYONE to love them, and if they look like your cup of earl gray you should get them, because they're great:


Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

This isn't a kid's book. I feel like I should say that. There was one part toward the end where I was just like, "Ewww?" *covers eyes and skips two pages because so much blood and guts* But not all books can be kids books, and this is just a sad fact of life that one must be understanding about, and so that being said this one is super well-written, and based on an actual 19th century murder-case, and reads almost like a mystery thriller. Actually it kind of reminded me of a Agatha Christie book, only 1000x darker. And set in Iceland. Great characters, stark, haunting atmosphere. . .

Also, I gave it to my sister right afterward and she loved it, too, which is important because she reads Aristotle and Sun Tzu for fun and thinks most of the books I give her are lame.


The Year of Shadows by Claire Legrand

I've loved everything Legrand writes. Her first book The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls was one of my favorites from last year, and this one was so good, too. It's about a girl who is enlisted by a group of ghosts in her dad's old music hall to help remember the things that are keeping them from moving on. The back-stories of each of the ghosts are the highlight of the book, I thought. They become more and more heart-wrenching, right up until the hopeful, glowing finale, at which point you're just like "Yaaaaaay!"


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K.Rowling

Okay, this one is maybe a little bit obscure and you might be hard-pressed to find it anywhere, but it's so worth going on a million-mile quest over mountains and dales to read. I just finished the first book for the first time, and while it's a lot of "Harry Potter inherits a vault full of gold, and Harry Potter gets the BEST FLYING BROOM EVER", it's written in such fun, charming, engaging way that you totally don't get sick of it and you start wishing you got flying brooms, which I think is the appeal. Basically, it's famous for a reason: because it's fun and happy-making and great. If you haven't read it yet, I think you should. :)

Also, I have four gifts cards for bookstores sitting on my desk, so if you've read anything recently that you thought was amazing I would probably buy it if you told me to.

14 comments:

  1. If you haven't read Rainbow Rowell's YA yet--get on that. Otherwise, I'm loving FEED (not new, but awesome), and I thought THE ONLY ALIEN ON THE PLANET was amazing (also not new, also awesome).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I've been meaning to pick up Eleanor and Park actually! Must do, thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. I recently read (well, listened to) THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHTTIME and LOVED it. Also, I think I keep getting you to try to read THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST but, on second thought, it is really super gory. You might have to cover your eyes through the entire book. So maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havvvve actually been meaning to pick up Monstrumologist, but then 5th Wave wasn't for me and I was like "I don't knowwwww..." Also, really super gory would make me cover my eyes through the whole thing. I could *imagine* it to be great then. Curious Case I do want to read, though, YES. Must mark it.

      Delete
  3. Bro--Ender's Game. That book just litrly blew my head off and almost incited a few tears, though it is YA and things... And Guardians of Ga'Hoole: The Capture is so marvellous and nerve-wracking, I read it so many times that I simply cannot read it again. Yeeeeeh, amazing :DDDD And you know what else you could do with a gift card? GIVE IT TO A RANDOM GUY ON THE STREET ON CHRISTMAS!!!! (come to think of it: they mightn't really like books but still.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guardians of Ga'Hoole. Ahem. I've seen the movie? :D I liked it? :D I guess? :D Also, I'm too book-greedy to give the gift card to a random guy on the street. I WANT ALL THE BOOKS.

      Delete
  4. Books I rec:
    THE DINNER (adult thriller. It's told almost a little non-linearly in the fact that you wait slowly for the reveal of the mystery. Deals with a brother, his brother and their families.)
    ENDER'S GAME, if you haven't already.
    THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST (Kelly rec'd that one above. It's fantastic.)
    The GONE series (if you want a modern day ish Lord of the Flies?)

    also I am currently reading BRAVE NEW WORLD and I quite like it even if it's odd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Artemis Fowl. It has fairies and technology and creepishly awesome body-guards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FAIRIES. :D This has been rec'd to me so many times, I should really finally read it already.

      Delete
  6. You should finish the book of British villages I gave you so I can have it back.
    And if you want to read THE DINNER, I have it. I bought and read it in the Atlanta airport, since there was no Sun Tzu to be had... It's short and fairly entertaining, but I don't think it'd be quite to your taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should give Garth Nix a try. I think he'd be right up your alley. Start with Sabriel, it's the first book in the most incredible, and totally different, fantasy series. I've given it to everyone I know, and they all love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added it! I've heard good things. :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! They are amazing, awesomely visual books. You'll basically want Hayao Miazaki to animate the movie version. If you like Miazaki that is...

      Delete
  8. I totally loved Burial Rites. Gorgeously written, and it evoked the setting so incredibly well! After having visited Iceland last summer, I was really excited to read such a well-written book set there. Oh, and I just put a hold on The Year of Shadows at the library!

    ReplyDelete