Saturday, August 24, 2013

VERSAILLES!



Ok, Stefan goes to Versailles. It was so great. And inspiring. And all that good stuff. Basically everyone in my family had been before, and I had not, and I felt it would be helpful when writing about underground Versailles to know something about overground Versailles, so we took a day of the Paris trip and WENT.

(Photo credit is all my mom's, thank you Mommmm!)

The train to Versailles.

I clearly make the most dashing Frenchman. I mean look at those snazzy stockings.

This girl was like "Dude, how long IS the line," and Dude was like, "Girl, it goes back, and forth, and back, and forth. TEN TIMES. Hehehe."
And it did:
Back.

And Forth.

Ten times.

There were a lot of people. But we got in eventually, and I was reading a marvelous book while shuffling along, so it didn't seem bad at all.

Roofs should have gold on them, too, so that people don't mistake you for being poor or tasteful.
Versailles from the top. It has something like 2,000 rooms and used to house 14,000 people, so it was basically an entire city under one roof. Which is such an interesting concept, I find.

This was a stripped room in the entrance wing. So, this is how the rooms would look minus the paint and gilt and millions of dollars worth of furniture.
And this is how they actually look.

THIS. It has a glare, but it's a model cross-section of the opera auditorium in the palace, and I thought it was fascinating.

So many peopllllle. This is the hall of mirrors. My hall of mirrors in the book had to look compeltely different because drastic things need to happen in it, but it was cool to see.
Then we got tons of pictures of doors, because doors are important. xD

Also locks.
And window handles.
And ceilings.

And chandeliers.

And beds.

And more locks.

And then we went out into the sunshine.

The gardensssss. They're vast.
And have carefully squared-off trees.

And then we were done.
And THEN. Versailles is the name of a town where the palace was built. It's a very pretty one that seemed quintessentially French, at least to me.

We found a roadside cafe Mom had been to before and had crepes.

And more crepes for dessert. Mine looks sad and plain in comparison with the mountains of cream on the other one, but it was salted toffee and vanilla ice cream, and it was SO GOOD.
And that was all! We went back to Paris. A few days later we went home. And it was grand.


10 comments:

  1. I giggled me silly on this. But how can you claim gold roofs aren't tasteful? Expensive taste is a taste too, y'know. I should know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still waiting on my Eiffel Tower keychain in the mail. Hm. It must have gotten rerouted somehow. Odd. Anyway, these pictures were SO gorgeous. How long were you in that ginormous line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it was confiscated for being a dangerous weapon. The post people read our Twitter convo and and understood its full destructive potential and TOOK IT AWAY.

      Also, we were in that line for two hours at least. It was totally fine, though. :) Just bring a book.

      Delete
  3. *twitches jealously*

    I, too, have tons of photos of European doors. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. European doors are so interestinnnnng. Like in Edinburgh where lots of them are bright red or dark blue? I was all enamored by that.

      Delete
  4. "poor or tasteful" Ha!

    I cannot fathom 14,000 people living there. (O~O)

    Great tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so crazy. No doubt there was much squabbling.

      Also thank you! :D

      Delete
  5. An entire city living under one roof, while still being above-ground...hmm...sounds like good story material ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? I think I read a short story about this once already. I just can't remember what it's called. It was great, though. :)

      Delete