Sunday, July 7, 2013

Summah-Summah

Goodness me, I haven't blogged in agessss.

I wrote a bunch, though. I have most of a draft done of Dead Man's Palace, and it's about 60,000 words long, and I'm mostly happy with the overall gist. It still needs lots of polishing and filling-out, but it has bunches of action and fighting and twisty-ness, which of course is far more important than coherence just kidding you didn't read that ANYWAY: I'm hoping to give it to my Mom for a first-read in a week or two. And then off it will go to my trusty beta readers like so:

Page order is irrelevant at this point.
And THEN: I'm going to spend most of the summer traveling. I have to because classes start again in September at which point I will mostly just sit at a computer and never move again.

Next week I'm flying to Oregon in Merry America to pick up Little Brother from family friends and drag him back to Switzerland.

When I'm back, I'm going to Versailles briefly to absorb a bit of French atmosphere and look at the palace so I can get some details right for the above-mentioned book.

And then I WAS going to go on an epic road-trip to Ireland, but because of reasons we are no longer doing that, so maybe we'll go to Venice or Serbia. And I really want to go to Tokyo. Everyone be lahk wuuut, but you see, a friend went recently and showed pictures and I'm suddenly rather smitten by the notion. I probably won't go this summer because it's expensive and far away, but I'd like to.



Doesn't it look like it will give you epilepsy fabulous? I know.

And now three quick promo-y things:

One

Christopher Paolini gave The Whatnot a super nice blurb. This made me go all:


 He also blurbed The Peculiar, but he wrote a new blurb for this one. Here's what he said:

"The kid can write! A wonderfully evocative world, beautiful prose, and interesting characters. The Whatnot is cool and creepy. Bachmann just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait to see what he does next."  Christopher Paolini (who is an NYT-Bestselling author and has sold like 30 million books and actually blurbs very few books so is super nice for blurbing mine.Thank you a TON, Christopher Paolini!)

Two

The audiobook of The Peculiar is going to be free to download from July 11th to July 17th as part of the SYNC program, and it's paired with Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I've never listened to the audiobook. I don't dare, but the people who have listened to it told me the narrator is awesome and has this posh British accent, so if you like posh British accents, free things, creepy faeries, or all of the aforementioned, you should download it.

Three

I have a few new stories up on The Cabinet of Curiosities since I've last blogged about it, and so do the awesome Emma, Claire, and Katherine, and you should reeead them. One of us posts a new vaguely unsettling short story every Wednesday, and we're all busily writing more for the anthology, and it's fun.

Also, I recently got an email complaining that my stories are full of liberal agendas. I was like, "Oohh, liberal agendas!"

I assume they're like regular agendas, only blue.

Anyway, I hope you guys have a really great summer. Are you traveling? WHERE ARE YOU GOING? Will we see each other? Bye. :)

25 comments:

  1. Tokyo is on my list of places to go, too. I was supposed to go in 2011 but it was the Year of Weather Problems (see: I went to Australia-- Brisbane flooding, New Zealand earthquake, tsunami in Japan, heat wave back home in the States)... so I never made it :-( If you go, pack me in your suitcase! :P

    Congrats on the audiobook and the blurb!!! Can't wait for the DEAD MAN and the WHAT NOT. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SHALL. They'll probably put me in prison for smuggling humans, but tough. :)

      Also, thank youuuu. I hope you like!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, congrats on the SYNC audiobook and the blurb. I am waiting (impatiently) for the Whatnot and Deadman's Palace sounds good too!

    Tokyo sounds fun but I'd rather go back to Switzerland.... (the grass is always greener, etc, etc). This summer I'm not going anywhere in particular, so I'm happy to hear someone is! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you like Whatnot! And you were in Switzerlannnnd. Cool. It is very pretty here. But Tokyo. Ya know. It's Tokyo. xD It just seems really different and interesting.

      I hope you have a great summer, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Haha! Liberal agenda indeed.
    Then again, maybe compared to some certain people, you might come across as a little blue around the gills...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, if you go to Tokyo I'm coming too. Also, no, we probably won't see each other because I'm such a diligent and hard-working intern and have to make coffee all summer. Also, Iiiii loved your newest story. :D *moosh* Except for the message. How dare you encourage people to be kind and un-judgy through antisuggestion HOW DARE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, if I go to Tokyo you have to come and we will go eat those weird little candy dishes that are made to look like not-candy dishes. I'm glad you know what I'm talking about. xD

      Also, aw! I'm glad you liked it. :D You're a communist for admitting it, though, so you may have to be executed.

      Delete
  5. oh nooooo, you should've come to Ireland! The weather is surprisingly wonderful at the moment and it's not as hot as it is in Switzerland (yes, I know because I live in Lucerne) and Ireland is always brilliant, especially for bookworms.

    I can't wait to read The Whatnot and Deadman's Palace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU'RE IN IRELAND? LIKE NOW? So envious.

      Also, woo, I hope you like them! :)

      Delete
  6. WHERE IN OREGON? Stefan, I live here. This is my state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Hi Stefan, i read the first chapter of your book and for sure i will buy it, looks very interesting. I think you are very talented, keep writing!

    http://elcomercio.pe/espectaculos/1601384/noticia-stefan-bachmann-cosas-que-te-hacen-diferente-tambien-te-pueden-convertir-heroe

    Greetings from Peru :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! :) I hope you like the rest of it!

      Delete
  8. VENICE. Go to Venice. It is beautiful and will inspire lots of writing, I should think. :)

    Also, these books of yours: I cannot WAIT to read them. Especially Dead Man's Palace. What can I say? I'm a French history junkie. Need another beta reader/historical fact checker? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh YES, to beta reader. I'm so nervous about this book. The more people who read it before my agent and editor the better. I will DM you when it's ready and I dare show it to people! :D

      Delete
  9. As a former flight attendant I went to Tokyo (Osaka and Kyoto) a bunch of times. You will love it when you go. It's like The Peculiar in flashing neon lights. Very surreal and a lot of fun! Looking fwd to reading your sequel. Keep writing, Stef. All the best, from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Peculiar in flashing neon lights sounds good to me. xD I want to goooo. Hopefully next summer. And thank you! I hope you like Whatnot! :)

      Delete
  10. I'm SUPER EXCITED because I totally scored an ARC at work of The Whatnot (we've conversed briefly on GoodReads before Amazon purchased them and I deleted my account... just a reminder I work at Third Place Books near Seattle...)! I had asked you to send me a copy so I could read it and handsell the heck out of it when it's finally published. IT'S SO GOOD!!! Thank you thank you for making sure my store got an advanced copy. I can't stop reading it!
    Cheers,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS. Oh, I'm super glad you're liking it. And I do hope you like the rest of it. :D And the fact that you want to hand-sell it makes me ridiculously happy. THANK YOU.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I do really love it! I've been handselling The Peculiar like crazy to parents looking for good summer reading for their kids. So far, it's been a hit! ^_^

      Delete
  11. read The Peculiar and i love your book! i love your unique style of writing. hope that I'd be able to write a book like yours, my dream since i was 7. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! And you can totally write a book. This is awesome. You should go for it. :)

      Delete
  12. omg!!! you replied to my comment even if im "anonymous". you just made my day.. thank you. ill give it a try. ill write a book someday o∩_∩o

    ReplyDelete