Friday, April 19, 2013

Sächselüte

If you can say that word up there I'll give you a cookie.

But you can't, so I won't.

Unless you did, in which case here's a cookie.

Ba-DUM.
Basically it's this giant parade in Zürich, and when you're in primary school you get the day off and go watch hundreds of children in historical costumes walk around the Old Town and throw candy (if they feel like itsometimes they don't feel like it and eat all the candy themselves, in which case BITTER ENVY ENSUES) and at the end a snowman is put on a pyre and gets his head blown off in this very stone-age ritual sort of way, and everyone's like YAAAYYY, because the faster his head is blown off the better the summer will be.

It's very scientific.

If you'd like to see the slow demise of the snowman, I found a video. The snowman's name is Böögg, because I mean if you had a snowman, wouldn't you name it Böögg? I would.




Anyway, I'm going to post ALL THE PICTURES. I didn't go to the parade this year, but my mom did, and Little Brother did, too, so I'm stealing their photos:


Mr. Bögg before his fiery demise. He looks so calm and clueless, smoking his pipe. He doesn't realize that in a few hours his head will explode and everyone will be happy about this.

Be-costumed kids. This is basically the whole parade. Note all the candy bags.

Horsesssss. Mom likes horses muchly, so there were lots of horse pictures so sort through.

Shadow's all like, "STAHP, I want this discarded flower."

"Let me eat cake, and you can just watch."

More be-costumed kids.

Be-wigged French children.

The Lady in Plum is looking far too happy today. You should be off kidnapping changelings, why are you even in Zürich.

Period-correct accessories.

HORSES.

Candy accident.

PANTALOONS.

Haha! Camel.

A funeral band? Of sultry, serene-sounding bagpipes? I guess.

I want the socks.

Cheerleaders and pom-pomsssss, just becausssssse.

Isn't this the creepiest? Like, in the red? Like they're little vampires or something.

And lastly, remember how a few months ago I posted this blog of Little Brother's photos? And you guys were all very nice and cool about it? So he was encouraged to start his own photo-blog, and I think his pictures are great. If you peeked in once in a while, he would think you even cooler.

Bye. :)

14 comments:

  1. Haha, you're captions made me laugh :)
    Just checked out your bro's photo-blog too- it's brilliant! I love the whole pic-a-day thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean YOUR, not YOU'RE. Damn you, autocorrect-that-for-once-gets-it-wrong

      Delete
    2. Haha! Woo! Also, yay. I'll tell him. :)

      Delete
  2. Your captions made me laugh. Needed this today, Stefan. I hope by the time you read this, it will be over but the city of Boston is under lockdown (stay inside homes etc, am safe) but this giggly sort of fun was so so needed. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. It is over now, but super glad it helped. :D Sorry you had to go through that...

      Delete
  3. I've been hearing about the burning of the Boogg (umlauts...) for twenty years from your mother but that's the first video I've seen. Seems like a big burning marshmallow at first and then it gets all violent. Would. not. happen in America. Those firing shots (firecrackers?) would bring out the troops for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually barely ever seen it either. xD I think I watched it once on television, and then walked by it before it had been burned...

      But yeah, it's stuffed with firecrackers and is SLIGHTLY disturbing to watch.

      Delete
  4. It's appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to recommend you some interesting issues or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles regarding this article. I wish to learn more issues about it!

    My site - Cheap Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, cheap Louis Vuitton bags! :D

      Just kidding. Go away.

      Delete
  5. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to
    shoot you an email. I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

    Here is my weblog - Cheap Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if the snowman decapitation ritual is awesome or disturbing. That looks like the best parade ever, though. YAY HISTORICAL COSTUMES! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, like when I watched the video I was like "Woah, this is oddddd and dangerous-looking." But it's interesting I suppose. :D

      Delete
  7. It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this outstanding blog! I guess for now i'll
    settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my
    Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will share this site with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

    My site; Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite
    reason seemed to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware
    of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people
    consider worries that they just do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing
    without having side-effects , people can take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

    my website ... авиабилеты красноярск минск

    ReplyDelete