Tuesday, January 22, 2013

2013 Books For Which I'm Excited

Doll Bones by Holly Black

The synopsis on GoodReads says something like, "Three kids — Zachary, Poppy and Alice — go on a journey, despite their own uncertain friendship, to bury a doll that may or may not be made from human bones."

I know, how awesome how disgusting. And I've actually never read anything by Holly Black, not even The Spiderwick Chronicles or her Modern Fairy Tale books, so this looks like a perfect introduction.

Proxy by Alex London

About a person who is hired to take all the punishments for his rich-brat-employer. How cool is that CONCEPT. So many possibilities for dastardliness and ethical quandaries.

Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson

It's a re-telling of the Bluebeard fairytale set in the pre-Civil War South. That's all I needed to know.

Arclight by Josin L. McQuein

I saw a cover mock-up for this at Greenwillow's office and it is so shiiiiiny. Aside from that, it's about creepy creatures called the Fade, and is set in a world where there's almost no light, and the author is cool (Hi, Josin!), so I'm buying it as soon as it comes out.

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

This is the sequel to last year's Shadow and Bone. I liked that one! It had a cool pseudo-Tsarist world with an interesting magic system, a bit of steampunk-ish-ness, and the general pleasant feel of an old-fashioned adventure. I want to see where it goes in Numbah 2.

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

THE COVER. O_O I don't really know much else about this one, I admit, but it looks intriguing and snazzy.

The End Games  by T. Michael Martin

About two brothers in a zombie-apocalypsified West Virginia. It sounds creepy. And original. And the fact that it's about siblings. . . Sibling books are way less common than boyfriend/girlfriend books, and I find them much more interesting, so this should be good.

Don't those look great? :D I'm sure a ton more are going to pop up, and I'm going to remember all the ones I'm forgetting, but for now I think it's a good list. Also, if you have any 2013 recs or books you're excited about you could tell me and that would be cool of you.

14 comments:

  1. THERE IS A BLUEBEARD RETELLING IN THE SOUTH????

    *adds furiously to TBR list*

    I am excited for Arclight if only bc it comes out my birthday XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have some awesome looking books on there that I hadn't heard of before. I'm really intrigued by The End Games. Funny, cause I was always a romance girl until the book I just finished writing. Even though I wrote a romance, the main relationship in the book turned out to be between the two guys who are best friends/like brothers. I found exploring their friendship more satisfactory than writing the love story part. Who would've guessed? So now I'm looking for more books that have that element of family/friendship. Brothers in zombie infested West Virginia sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think romance can be done well, too, it just seems to me that a lot of times it's in books and the author really doesn't have anything significant to add to the subject. Like, it's just there because romance is popular. But AGREED: sibling stories are fun to write and END GAMES looks excitinnng. ;)

      Delete
  3. Wooo these look awesome!

    I really need to read Shadow and Bone, it sounds fantastic. Must. Read. ALL. The books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :D And you should read S+B. It's a fun read. And a fast read. And good for airplane trips.

      Delete
  4. You do know that the whipping boy (Proxy) was invented round about 500 years ago, and that concept's been written about by such worthies as Mark Twain. Right?
    I'll be borrowing Arclight and The End Games from you when you're done with them. Or maybe before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like, Puddinhead Wilson. But STILL. I mean you can take that concept a lot of different places. I'll read it and tell you how exciting it is. :)

      Delete
  5. Proxy and Strands of Bronze and Gold seem like books that are right up my alley. The concept for Proxy has been written about by some great writers, so i'm guessing that you were using sarcasm or something along those lines :P
    The end games seems like it would be interesting as well. I'll try to get my hands on these books!

    http://the-writing-junkie.blogspot.com/
    I write, read and review books. I like publicizing authors and their stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Sarcasm, me? I really do like the gist of it, though. I mean, every basic concept has been done before, probably multiple times, but that's not really the point of books. :)

      Delete
  6. ~I agree with you! The school for good and evil`s cover caught my eye in an instant! Such wonderful art x.x Doll Bones sounds interesting! Maybe i`ll get that one!

    ~Also, you have been nominated for the Libster Award!! ^^ Here`s the link for more details :
    http://riverstardust.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! And oh, thank you! :D This is very flattering.

      Delete
  7. School of good and evil. The cover is just a phenomenons :) ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm super stoked for Quintana of Charyn. Melina Marchetta is such an incredible writer.

    ReplyDelete