Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Harper, Harps, and Trailer Music

Muse Playing the Harp, by Antoine Auguste Ernest Hebert (Didja see, she has the whole, "I'm infinitely cooler than you," look going? Probably because of her superior hand posture.)

I don't know if I've mentioned this on the blog before, but The Peculiar is going to have a book trailer, and book trailers have MUSIC in them, and HarperCollins was cool and let me write the music for mine.

I can't show you the trailer yet, or the music, but I can show you the FAILS. There were many fails. Twelve, to be precise. Here's how they came about...

Wayyyyy back in the Spring I wrote to my editor and said something like, "Um, could perhaps, if it be ok, I write the trailer music, please?" and Editor said, "You may" and I said, "YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaythankyouSOMUCH" and then, being all practical and time-efficient, I wrote twelve different trailer pieces before I had even seen the trailer.

Stefan composing. No really.
Of course, those twelve pieces all had to be scrapped once I got the actual video, because hello, you can't just write whatever you want, kiddo, and there are such thangs as mood and timing to consider. So the twelve music pieces were doomed to oblivion.

*movie voice* UNTIL NOW.

I'll show you three of the scrapped ones. The harpiest ones, since that's the title of this post. It's actually kind of a coincidence they all have so much harp in them. I was working with a new sound library, and the piano, which would normally be my go-to choice for the base-instrument, sounded awfullllll. So harp it was.

Below is my first try. It's kind of happy and drama-y, and it's played by an electronic orchestra which automatically makes it a little bit disgusting. But I like the 3/4 over 6/8. It gives it an off-beat without technically having an off-beat. Yes.



This next one is somewhat skin-and-bones. Not very polished. The theme is okay, and I think I might want to use it for a bigger piece someday.



 This one is only harp. No orchestra. Which really wouldn't have matched the trailer at all. It could maybe work for the super-sekrit-Russian-project's book trailer. :P But not so much for the shiny-gloomy book with the bird on it.



Did you like any of those? One, two, or three? I can put up some of the other pieces in later blog posts if you found that interesting. Or not. Let me know! :)

19 comments:

  1. These are absolutely beautiful. Wow. WOW.

    ... can you write the soundtrack to my life please? (Kidding. Kidding. Mostly... :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Thank you! :) I don't think I could write enough music for your whole life, though. Unless you just want highlight music. Like, for when you're scaling skyscrapers and hiking to Mordor and suchlike. Which I'm sure you do ALL THE TIME, and in which case, YES, I would totally want to write the soundtrack. :D

      Delete
    2. Mr. Bachman, your music is nice. it's perfect! I like it.

      Delete
  2. YAAAAY music post. I want more music posts. Why don't you do more music posts? HUH? O_O :D Also, three's my favourite. It's so pretty and sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuu. And I don't knowwww. We'll see. :D Usually music posts aren't half as popular as book-related posts on this blog, so I do them sparingly. Blogs are supposed to FOCUS, you know. FOCUS.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I like them all! Actually, I LOVE the first, very much enjoy the second, though I admit to a slight feeling of confusion at the third. Anyway, I hope you score movies someday, because they all sounds like great movie themes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely like the first one the best. Its theme stands clear and is memorable, one of those, "oh, that's the music from The Peculiar!" kind of pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rosie Kate: Woo! Thank you! :) The third one is a little bit all-over-the-place. The chord progression is pretty regular, but the melody does some odd jumps. It also has a lot of duoles over trioles. :P

    @Clayvessel: I like the first one best, too. :) But the actual Peculiar Trailer/Pieces are darker, I think, and have a differnet sound from these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second is my favorite. Not sure why. Something sinister in the opening notes. This could be a new side business for you: composing book trailer music. You could make a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kind of love all three! The second was my favorite, but it was pretty close between that one and the last. You are crazy talented, Stefan. Seriously. I knew that already, but this just confirmed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Brian: Well, if anyone wants any book trailer music written, I would totally do eeeet. :D

    @Natalie: Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your GIF made me laugh cause I can attest that that is what you looked like. And see that person in the corner? That was me all mesmerized and looking over your shoulder :D

    And actually, I like the third one. Which no one voted for but I still liked it best. Actually, the one you were working on while I was there is my favorite... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The googly-eyed thing looks like a cauliflower stalk. Are you secretly a cauliflower stalk, Alyssa?

      And I don't remember which one I was working on when you here. BUT I'M GLAD YOU LIKED IT. :D

      Delete
  10. Stefan, if you'll promise to write the book trailer music for my book. I will write a book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I really loved all of them! You are clearly an amazing musician/composer!
    P.S. I can't wait to read your novel! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :) Glad you like the music!

      Delete
  12. Just finished reading your novel. You have created the most original, imaginative olio of genres I've ever encountered.
    Your music samples here are pure genius. Please let us know when your CD will be available.
    ( Not kidding ) Especially the first two composition samples above just pull me up out of my reality and I'm in an alternate place wherever it is that music lives and I wish it could go on forever! You are truly a creative genius, and so young! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete