Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book Recs. . .

I do naaaaaaaahhhh feel like blogging today-eeeeeeeee.

I'm polishing up Book 2, and it's boiling my brain.

So. Because I'm feeling blah and busy, I'm just going to recommend three books that I've been recommending to friends a lot lately. Book reviews that are purely positive and gushing are sometimes kind of boring, but these three books are great, and there's nothing to not positively gush about, and ah luv ehm, and so ahm going to recommend ehm. To you.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo


What Stefan says to get people to read it: "IT'S SO SAAAAAAAAAAD."

It really is. The cover leads one to believe that it is a happy story about a slightly creepy red-suited rabbit who stalks people's houses, but THE COVER LIES.

Ok, never mind all that, but the cover does makes the book out to be much more glow-y than it really is. Because the book is actually pretty dark and pretty deep. It's about love and loss. It's like... The Velveteen Rabbit only more complex, and even sadder, if you can believe that. (Stuffed rabbits have such depressing lives, apparently.) Anyway, I don't know what I would have thought of it as a kid. I probably would have cried. But it's amazing. You should read it.

Splendors and Glooms by Amy Laura Schlitz


What Stefan says to get people to read it: (This one doesn't actually come out until the end of August. I read it in ARC form, so I've really only recommended it to my sister. I said something like, "Atmosphere. Creepy. So good. Read. You like."

I got this from my awesome editor after I posted about how I so desperately wanted to read it. I've already yelled about how perfect the prose is on twitter, but I'll do it again here. There are so many quotable phrases and images and scenes in this book, and it all coalesces into such a dense, atmospheric read. It's definitely upper middle grade. It's complex, both its emotions and its plot, and things get nasty, and people are bloodied up something fierce, but I think I would have loved it at eleven or twelve. And even if you don't usually read middle grade, it's like a handbook in how to write deliciously shivery period atmosphere and authentic characters. Schlitz is definitely a master. There's a lot to be learned from her no matter what age bracket you write for.

In other words, it's amazing. You should read it.

Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilly Giff


What Stefan says to get people to read it: "IT'S SO SAAAAAAAAAAD."

I did, in fact, successfully foist this on an unsuspecting friend, and while she liked it, she said she didn't find it *that* sad. Cold soul. I thought it was probably the saddest book I'd ever read. And if I remember right none of the main characters even die, which usually means the writing is *really* strong if a book can be sad and powerful without anybody dying.

I literally read it all in one sitting. That saying gets thrown around a lot, but I never read books in one sitting. I'm not a slow reader, I'm just a lazy reader, and even books I love can take me ages to finish. But this one's just so good. Irish kids surviving and leaving their homeland during the potato famine maybe doesn't sound like the hookiest of hook, but I found these kids' hardships and their perseverance profound and affecting and whatever other sappy adjectives you can think of. Book's amazing. You should read it.

8 comments:

  1. I really want to read SPLENDORS AND GLOOM!!! I'll be in Switzerland at the end of August - do you know if it is being published abroad? I don't know much about foreign rights for books.....

    I am currently reading THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY.

    Why you should read it- It's super girly. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Maybe you shouldn't read it. It's about a girl and her 16th summer with her family friends and how the family friend's mom has breast cancer(again). The narration is slow and steady like ocean waves.

    I also just read GONE GIRL

    Why you should read it- Creepy as $%^#. Crazy. Ruthless. Dark. Psychological thriller. Missing person/murder mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Summer I Turned Pretty? Haaaaaa. Yeah, that sounds very enticing.

      I'd heard of Gone Girl, though! :D May pick that one up at some point.

      And I actually don't know where Splendors and Glooms is coming out. You might be able to find it at the English Bookshop when you're here. Which you should go to anyway, because... books. In English. ;)

      Delete
  2. Edward Tulane is SO SAD. *tears* Gosh what a depressing book. But also so lovely at the same time!!

    Splendors and Gloom looks really intriguing based on the cover. Is it a historical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is historical! It's about puppets and creepy magic and Victorian London. All the best things, you know. :)

      Delete
  3. Haha! XD Ice-cold. Also, Splendors and Glooms looks rather amazing. Give it to meeeeeeee? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO.

      Ok, maybe.

      But if you again find it just ok, I shall despair in you.

      :D

      Delete
  4. I read Nory Ryan's song when I was a kid! I concur that it is sad. Very sad. But good, also!

    Very intrigued by Splendors and Glooms! I will have to check it out. Beautiful prose is one way to get me to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. Glad SOMEBODY agrees. ;)

      You should definitely check out Splendors and Glooms. The plot ain't too shabby either.

      Delete