Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fall 2012 - Books For Which I'm EXCITED + Re-cap

Okay, two week re-cap annnnd GO:

1. It's really hot here.
2. It's concert season again.
3. I passed my year-end test for the conservatory by the skin o' mah teef.
4. I've had almost no time to write.
5. Though I did flee to the alps to clatter on my fluorescent-green laptop.
6. That was good.
7. Lists are fun.
8. Lists are so much easier to write than sensible and thoughtful blog posts.
9. The Peculiar is coming out in Australia, New Zealand , and England.
10. Yaaaay.
11. Book 2 is still almost done, but not quite done.
12. HarperCollins is awesome. They sent me a box with feathers in it.
13. The Peculiar sold at auction in Slovakia and the Czech Republic.
14. The Czech Republic has Prague in it.
15. Prague is the coolest city ever.
16. Yaaaay. 
17. I said in my last post I was going to post things from my "Early Writings" folder.
18. I lied.
19. Sort of.
20. I'll do it some other time. Like, after I've finished drafting book 2. And have gotten through concert season. And have lots of time.

INSTEAD - I found some books coming out this fall that look igsakly like the sorts of books I like to read, and I wants them. I wants them so much I'm making a list. Another list. See point numbah 10 above.

Here they are. Feast your eyes. They look so good, the lot of 'em.

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz


Creepy puppet children, stage magicians, Dickensian settings, and all that good stuff. Also, I read an excerpt from the author's previous book, The Night Faery, and her writing is KIND of gorgeous. I really want to see it used in a gothic novel. And those words above her name? Newbery Medal Winner? Yeah.

Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill


Look at that coverrrrrr. I love the title, I love the font, I love the illustration. I don't know much about the contents except that there are dragons, but what more must I know, I ask you?

Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull


I'm really, really excited for this one. And again, look at that COVER. It's so clear-cut and timeless. This one's about puppets, too, from what I gathered, and birds, and siblings, and magic, and it looks just generally awesome. Want. Now. Give it to me.

Jepp, Who Defied the Stars by Katherine Marsh


Court dwarves in 16th century Spain. That's enough hook for me. Also, the font - it's nice. :)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for all these recs. I had no idea of these beautiful middle grades. Also congrats on getting Peculiar foreign rights (LOL that sounds funny if you don't specify that it is for your book)....Australia AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI! (Represent....Okay so the 5 months there made me a bit of a Aussie rep. lmao! Uh. I promise I'm american lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thank you. ;) When I got the news, I was like, "OH! AUSTRALIA! I WONDER HOW THAT TRANSLATION WILL LOOK!" And then I was like, "Uhhh..."

      Delete
  2. Um, Stef, you don't do anything by the skin of our teeth. Email me. I want all the gory deets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I love the Iron Hearted Violet cover!!! Totes adorbz. <3

      Delete
    2. It has a dragon on it. Dragons aren't totes anything, YO.

      But I agree, it's loverly. :)

      Delete