Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Avengers and Other Silliness

We are very serious. See our serious faces? Very serious indeed.
So the other day I watched The Avengers. A Jolly Good Friend came over from Or-GIN (also known as Or-EH-gon) and was all like, OH. MOVIE IS AMAZING," so off we went, annnnnd... I dunno, you guys.

It was ok. I guess.

At first I was like "Meh" and then I was like "Hmm" and then towards the middle I was like "Ooh, interrogation with a clever reversal, and some thrilling fight scenes, and this might actually be kinda good!" and then it was all just, "Explosion, explosion, ow, my head, explosion, alien invasion thing has been done so many times before and much more dramatically, and then OH tracking shot of all the superheroes doing teamwork, how nice and heart-soaring-making," and then "Grr, >:O SPOILER >:O why didn't Iron Man die? It would have been tragic and sacrificial, and I totally would have bought his character development if he had died.

But no. Iron Man lives. Because he's Iron Man. And there need to be seven more Iron Man movies, and then he can die when one of them flops.

I think I was just expecting more from the whole thing. Like, if a movie becomes the highest-grossing superhero movie EVER in two weeks flat, you expect it will be exceptionally thrilling, or exceptionally original,  or have a twisty, unpredictable story, or be very moving, or be stylishly directed, and it was really just a solid action-er as far as I could tell.

Jolly Good Friend surmised that superheroes in general were more of an American thing, but I dunno. She was watching it for the third time. And the person a few seats away seemed to like it. And I'm pretty sure he was European. And anyway, I'M American, too, hey.

But where was I. Oh yeah. Person a few seats away. Person-a-Few-Seats-Away was completely GEEKING OUT allll the way through the film. And clapping like a lunatic. And literally making the entire row of seats bounce. And I was like...


Actually not. I think it's cool if people like things. I think it's much cooler than people not-liking things, and I was sad that I didn't like it, and maybe I needed to watch all the other Marvel movies to appreciate this one fully, but I suppose it just wasn't for me. I didn't get it, you see.

Example:

A green guy punches a guy-in-a-cape for no apparent reason, and the geeking-out person was like, "HAHAHAHA."

Oh, um, ha? Haha?

Ultimately I thought the people sitting in the row in front of us were much more interesting than the film. It was a dad and the dad's girlfriend, and the dad's two teenage kids. Teenager #1 was a girl, and... well-adjusted, shall we say, and teenager 2# was a boy, and painfully awkward. He was constantly butting into conversations and trying to get the dad's girlfriend's attention, and it was very apparent the dad's girlfriend didn't like either of the kids much at all. The girl-teenager was being very polite and careful, and the boy-teenager was being very facepalm-ish, and the dad's girlfriend was just like, "Ew, children," and the dad was like, "Well, if I don't look perhaps it'll sort itself out."

Sad.

It's probably not a good sign if there's more drama in the theater-seats than on the screen, but ohhhh well.

If anyone else was not gobsmacked by the whole thing, tell me, because I feel all lonely in my not-gobsmack-ed-ness...

31 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. Especially your description of theater seat drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT WAS EPICCCCCC!! LIKE THE HULK!!! AND THE CAPTAIN AMERICA HOTNESS!!!! AND JUST EPIC!!!!! O_O <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sowwy Stefkins. I liked it too. And speaking of hotness, the guy with bow? Hawkeye? If you say his name out loud it sounds like hot, guy.... XDD

    Sorry I had to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, YOU CAN'T LIKE IT. YOU MUST AGREE WITH ME. SHALLOW CREATURE.

      BRIONY!!! HALP!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha, I am loving this review of The Avengers aka movie theatre drama. I agree with the dad's girlfriend: "ew, children." However, dating a guy with kids when you hate them = dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they just all seemed to be having a bad time. Like, it was just a lame situation. I feel sorry for the lot of 'em. O_o

      Delete
  5. I'm from Washington, so your good friend and I are practically neighbors *waves*

    I thought there were a lot of good lines in Avengers, so I was lol-ing a lot, but I agree it wasn't the BEST MOVIE EVER. Especially if you had the BEST FAMILY DYNAMIC EVER sitting in front of you.

    Also, I agree with Kat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *holds up Jolly Good Friend's hand* *Waves it in Taryn's general direction*

      I laughed a few times, too, but that punch? Not so much.

      Delete
  6. Haha I loved your description of the audience. I enjoyed this one but wasn't in love with it. I did like the writing and the acting - and thank you Joss Whedon for producing it (he also produced Buffy the Vampire Slayer). :) I laughed at the corny jokes because I make them myself. LOL. I definitely sat with the GIRLS!!!who were geeking out :)..... I fell asleep LOL....during the action-end...I know I am a bad movie watcher. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Jolly Good Friend was also falling asleep. But I guess since it was her third round... xD

      Delete
  7. I had mixed feelings, if that helps. Thing is, I've never really enjoyed superhero movies and I've been very superhero'd out lately. I only saw this because Joss Whedon wrote it and I feel I got my money's worth of snappy Whedon dialogue. But I wasn't the target audience and therefore, I had a hard time connecting with the characters. (Yes, I saw IRON MAN, THOR, and CAPTAIN AMERICA and had mixed feelings about all them too. Again: not the target audience.) I do think Whedon is a master at conveying character through dialogue. Much to be learned from him. And the movie was entertaining overall but I'm still a bit flummoxed at how it's been breaking records and such. I saw it on Saturday (what, 2-3 weeks after the release?) and the showing was sold out. Blew my mind. Maybe after a couple summers that failed to produce definitive blockbusters, people are just hungry for something to satisfy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Like, I definitely see why it's successful, but the most successful thing ever? Maybe because all the superheroes were mashed together and people expected six times the entertainment value... :P

      Delete
  8. I could have easily been the person geeking out. lol Except I didn't make the whole row shake. I do believe I clapped a few times though. You DEFINITELY need to see the other movies for everything to make sense!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but this guy was like... forty. After a certain age, bouncing should be kept to a minimum. :P

      Also, oh. I thought so. I plan to watch Thor sometime, though Iron Man still looks kinda boring to me. I like superheroes with POWERS, ya know?

      Delete
    2. Oh, well, I suppose he should have just stuck to clapping gleefully then.

      To be honest, Iron Man is sort of my favorite because he's the only one that's possible at all! His powers come from his mind. HE HAS AWESOME POWERS!. But Thor is awesome too, and Captain America. Hulk has always been sort of... meh. Until The Avengers, that is. lol Hulk smash Loki. :D :D :D

      :O Please tell me you stayed until after the credits.

      Delete
    3. Um. I didn't. But Jolly Good Friend told me they all ate Schawarma or however you spell that. Right? :D

      Delete
    4. Lol yes. We were all just about crying we laughed so hard. :D

      Delete
  9. I havent seen the movie yet, but I will admit I was hoping for a nice twisty storyline myself. I'm a sucker for a good storyline, giving people superpowers does not necessarily make the entire movie super.

    I AM HOWEVER a big fan of the whole Harry Potter thing, movies and all...though I prefer the books because so much MORE happened in them. But alas, books are just better than movies that way.

    Love the GIF by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have some sort-of-twists if you think about it, but the story was definitely playing second-fiddle to the one-liners/explosions.

      And I've actually never read Harry Potter! Only seen some of the later movies, which was probably not a good idea, because they made no sense. BAD STEFAN. Will have to catch up someday.

      Delete
    2. I've never read Harry Potter either. *Virtual fist bump.*

      Delete
    3. *fist bumps back* We're just speshul that way.

      Delete
  10. I agree with you. even though I like action movies, The Avengers was literary overrated. Funny and entertaining, but overrated and at times stupid.
    Good writing by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not seen it. *puts nose in air* But I tend to agree with you in ALL SNOBBY THINGS so yeah. Youz TOTALLY RIGHT.

    ;DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IIIII wasn't being snobby. I made sure of it. :P But great. I knew I could count on you to agree with me unequivocally. xD

      Delete
  12. I watched the prequels to the Avengers movies with eagerness. I thought, "Wow. This is really cool to have each action-adventure movie leave a cliff-hanger for the next one that will ultimately lead to one movie that will surpass them all in greatness." I personally enjoyed the movie, but I was somewhat distracted by my sister's best friend. During the movie she beseeched my sister and me to depart the theater for a bathroom field trip (because girls only travel to the bathroom in herds, don't ya know). When both of us refused, she then proceeded to text until she fell asleep. On the way home, she admitted that she'd not seen any of the superhero movies. *face-palm*

    ReplyDelete
  13. She fell ASLEEP? Haaaaa. xD

    Actually no, I'm sorry. It's super lame when people don't appreciate movies one appreciates one's self. I UNDERSTAND THIS. Wish I had liked it more... The new Spider-Man was good, though! :)

    ReplyDelete