Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ascona

Ascona, and ze laggo.
Ahh, I fairly-well died from lack of internetz, but Ascona was lovely, and sunny, and palm tree-y, and I ate pasta sauce straight from the jar, and found a pair of neon green plastic sunglasses that look, strictly speaking, terrible, but I'm going to wear them anyway.

I also read The Fault in Our Stars. It was my travel book.

I'd heard a TON of glowing things about it. Everyone was basically like, "Oh, you shall CRY in PUBLIC," which I doubted, but I wasn't averse to the idea should the book really be that good, and so I bought it, and I packed it, and was really pumped to read it, because sad books are awesome, and... annnnd... It didn't really do anything for me.

Now you're probably thinking, "Stefan, you cold-hearted blighter. This book is about teenagers! Dying! Of CANCER!!!"

Yes, thank you, I realized that while reading. (Thumbs up for coherency skillzzzz.) But somehow the whole book seemed to go like this:

Girl Dying Of Cancer: *says something snarky*
Boy With One Leg: *is totally OK with all the snark, and is in fact smitten by it, and even though you'd think Snarky Dying Girl would not be particularly interesting to a one-legged teenager who, like all one-legged teenagers, is preternaturally cool and charismatic, Boy-With-One-Leg pursues her and whisks her off to AMSTERDAM.
At which point, Author: *says something deep about the universe, or breakfast eggs, or... cancer.*

I dunno. I was seriously expecting to love it, be moved by it, or at least marvel at the author's subtlety and skill. But a lot of things didn't work for me. I think most of them had to do with the supposedly 'teenage' characters. Yeah, they have cancer, and cancer is sad and horrible, and perhaps very maturing, but I was recently introduced to a girl who is still bald from her chemo treatments, and for some reason she didn't sound at all like a thirty-something youtuber. She was just a teenager. And I'm fairly certain her doctors and flight attendants never gave her bottles of champagne either.

The rest of the world seems to be squarely in the 'CRY in PUBLIC' group, and I think that's way admirable if a book can do that for people. I'm just saying it didn't do that for me.

But whatever. Below are some pictures of our two-day-advenshaaaah, stolen from my Mom's camera.

They all have that annoying orange date in the corner, and I'm too lazy have no idea how to get rid of them, SO IGNORE IT, pleeeease?

Fair Switzerland, through the train window. Aka, the usual spread of idyllic mountains, and lakes, and fields full of cows and clocks and chocolate.
       And then, in one fell swoop. Ka-POW! 

Palm trees!

And pasta!














And decapitated people in SHORT DRESSES!
 At least, I think that's what that represents. I'm open to other interpretations, though.

That's all I got. Thing's are vedy, vedy busy for me this week, and month, and though I have lots to talk about, I have no time to type them into coherent blog posts, so later on, hopefully, definitely, yes?

Awesome.

5 comments:

  1. Ommmmmgosh, I just read TFIOS too! I agree, it was kind of blah. Just kind of predictable and silly. But one is OBLIGATED to like it because it is SERIOUS.

    Also, I think that statue represents world peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo from the train takes my breath away. Wow. I mean...Wow. Sad you have become so blasé about such spectacularness.

    I think the sculpture represents the two handled hammer of fascism. Um. yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kat: HAHAHAHAHA! Just... to all of that.

    @Clayvessel: It is rather sad. And now that you mention it, the statue *does* look kind of like a hammer. Or pliers. Or Plammers. Fascist plammers. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I liked that book! and then I read your thoughts on it. ;-) You definitely have a way of making everything seem ridiculous....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, well, that's flattering. Don't let me dissuade you. I think most things are kind of ridiculous. xD

    ReplyDelete