Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's Not So Fluffy

Sooooo, since I'm not figuring out how to coerce Blogspot into letting me put up a music clip, here's a quick post to pass the time.

Zürich has an English bookshop.


.


Ta-daaa! English bookshop. It's my favourite shop in ze whole citeh.






Yesterday I went there. Look what I got.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.

I started reading last night. The illustrations are faaabulous. Really unique and evocative. The book itself has been a teeny bit predictable thus far, but I stayed up until midnight reading so it must be good. I know there's a twist coming. I hope it's a gobsmacker.




The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Because the UK cover has been on my radar for about a year now. It's so good. Stark and unfussy.

I don't normally read YA. A few weeks ago when I was talking to editors before the book auction, I told one of them that, and she was like "Ohhhhh?" aka "Well, that's really weird." It is a bit. I don't actually have a good reason not to read YA. Teen death books are almost out of fashion, so I can't rant about that. I dunno. I just hardly ever read YA! But this one is about zombies, and friends who have read it have said good things. AND JUST LOOK AT THAT COVER.
 
Haven't started reading it yet because I'm still working my way through Little, Big. Ahem. You might have noticed it's has been in that little 'reading now' gadget in the corner for over a month now? Yeah. That's because it's a slog. And by slog I mean, reams and reams of gorgeous prose and no plot to speak of. I do like the cover a lot. It's pretty much why I bought the book in the first place. I can't say I regret doing so, because the writing really is perfection, but I'll definitely be happy when I'm finished with it.

Oh, and look what else the English bookshop has.












Sweeeet. I did not know this. One more time.















Oooooh. Fluffflufffluffluffluff.
 
You can't buy marshmallow fluff in regular Swiss shops. You can't buy Reese's or cheerios or skittles or liquid vanilla or chocolate chips or any of those things so indispensable to life on earth.

So I picked up a jar. Because I'd never had it before and I imagined it must taste like marshmallowy whipped cream. It's sticky and pretty much just tastes like sugar.

Ick.

I'll feed it to my little brother.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah...I'm not particularly a fan of marshmallow fluff either. However, I am a fan of Reese's. Especially the peanut butter cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhm I love that shop too! Did you see, they also have poptarts? Equally icky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add some Nutella to that Fluff and you'll be all set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @TDawn: I completely agree. Reese's is the best candy ever. No competition.

    @Kat: I did see! But they cost ten franks for a tiny box. O_o

    @Sarah Prineas: Ahhhh, nutella. I don't think we own any. My mom was already pretty shocked that I spent five bucks on a jar of sugery air. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. ITS SO FLUFFYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! >:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unicorn, unicorn, unicorn, lalala, unicorn.

    ReplyDelete