Thursday, October 27, 2011

They'remakingamovieofthesaddestbookofalltimeandthatmakesmehappy!


Universal Pictures is making a movie version of Dr Suess's "The Lorax"! This is mostly awesome because it's DR SUESS (who for all practical purposes is the definition of awesome), but also because I remember it being the saddest, saddest book I had ever, ever read. When I was six. I haven't read it since, as it has unfortunately gotten lost amongst the vast amounts of other books in our house, but it definitely had a lasting impact. It's kinda like "The Giving Tree", but less confuzzling and more traumatizing.

Of course, at the time I was blissfully unaware that it was a cautionary fable on responsible usage of the earth and her resources. All I knew is that some bratty fellow cut down all the trees and the countryside looked ugly afterwards.

*twitches* I still don't like it when people cut down trees.

The only other thing I remember is that it had a framing story, which, in retrospect, the good doctor did brilliantly well. If you haven't read it, there's this shadowy figure telling a story about a factory to a kid, and the world all around is dark and ruined, and it gives the story he's telling this super-tragic inevitability. Or something. At least that's how I remember it.

But back to the movie. The description on Wikipedia doesn't look overly promising. I don't remember the book featuring an "idealistic young boy, who tries to find the one thing that will win him affection of the girl of his dreams." Also, Dr Suess adaptations have been a mixed bag IMHO, ranging from slightly rubbishy (The Grinch) to inexcusably rubbishy (The Cat in the Hat) to lovely (Horton Hears a Who). This one is by the makers of Despicable Me which was ok, but has subsequently driven me insane since my little brother got it on DVD.

Ah, well. I'll definitely be watching this one when it comes out next year, but not before I've searched out the book and re-read it. It won't be the same as when I was six, but it'll still be saaad! Those loverly, loverly trees...

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I hadn't yet seen that they were making a movie of this book! I personally think that the Lorax is the best of Suess's work. Now I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete